Each one of us has a different idea of what being healthy means. It could be as simple climbing a couple of flights of stairs without huffing and puffing. Or eating healthier 8 out of 10 times and unfortunately for Indian Parents when you look a little too full “khaate peete ghar ke bache”. So then how does one measure health? BMI, weight or abs? These fads have only been around for a few years now and they are often one-sided. This is why at Tatva we use the Ayurveda way of determining whether you are healthy or not. And you know, Ayurveda is all about seeing the bigger picture(like when you watch the Avengers in 3D). And that is why it is important that you take this holistic approach towards your health.
Let us take you through the signs of good health as mentioned in Ayurveda:
- Waking up in the morning should ideally feel like you are ready for anything. But does it make you feel tired? Or in the afternoon post-lunch hour in the office do you dream of your bed or in the evening all you want to do is sleep? These things might seem very common. I mean, when it comes to sleep it is also - YEH DIL MAANGE MORE! But unfortunately, it might be an indication of low energy levels. So one of the first signs of good health in Ayurveda is High Stable Energy throughout the day! (Basically, if you don’t feel like Ranveer Singh does all day, you need to look into it)
- Hunger levels - Hungry Kya? Do you think that it was Dominoes who came up with it? They probably did, but Ayurveda said it before it was cool. Regular and on-time hunger pangs are an indication of good metabolism, digestion and gut health. Therefore, a lot of medical conditions consider loss of appetite as a symptom. So tell me are you hungry? (Cause I am, like all the time, brb ordering chole bhature)
- Some of you may think that this topic is a taboo. But we are going to talk about it like the mature adults that we are - Do you go to make Number 2 every morning around the same time. Okay, sorry! What we mean is Bowel Movements. Regular and normal bowel movements(no constipation or loose stools) are an indication of good digestion and gut health. Therefore, it is important that you keep a track of your morning bathroom habits.
- This generation certainly has a tumultuous relationship with sleep. On one hand we feel like we are not getting enough of it. And on the other hand a flurry of Late Night TV Shows, Web Series and an ocean of content which we want to consume makes it impossible to get to bed on time. Not forgetting the crazy deadlines that come with the #hustlelife. But according to Ayurveda, Sleeping for 6-8 hours(don’t you dare, LOL ME!) is a sign of good health. And it's not only about quantity. How well you sleep whenever you do, and how easy it is for you to fall asleep, also speak volumes about your health. (psst. Inside tip - our prana renew nasal drops and scalp oil help promote peaceful sleep)
- Ever had a day where you find yourself screaming at the laptop for buffering or being super pissed about the traffic in the city. That’s okay, we all have those days. But do you have these days a lot? Like maybe even as you’re reading this blog, you are like - COME TO THE POINT ALREADY! (geez calm down). This means that your temperament is not normal. A normal temperament is a sign of good health and it only invokes calm and composed reactions from people..
- Do people keep coming up to you and telling you that you look like you are glowing? Then you need to set better boundaries, because that is just creepy. But all jokes aside, having good and radiant skin is a sign of great health. Not the #wokeuplikethis kind of skin, but what we mean is clear skin, which is hydrated, plump and smooth. If not, then you need to work on your hydration, diet and lifestyle.
- This one is a little tricky to talk about. But let’s get into it - Do you frequently experience bad breath or body odor? This is an indication of a bad bacterial equation in your mouth and body. And it is more serious than deodorant and toothpaste commercials would have you believe. As it can affect more than your relationship status. Therefore, absence of bad odour from mouth and body is a sign of good health according to Ayurveda.
- All of us fear the weighing scale, and we should. Not because of social media pressure, the need to conform to a particular number of the numerical system. But because optimum weight based on your height and age is always an important marker of your health. But fear not, ancient sages were not very keen on HIITs or Pilates but oftentimes simply making mindful diet and lifestyle choices with a 30 minute exercise regimen is enough to see you through.
So now that you know what to look out for, are you healthy? It is these parameters that we keep in mind while designing your treatment. Because at Tatva, it is always - HEALTH FIRST, HAIR SECOND AND HAPPY ALWAYS!